Believe In Dreams Ranch

Welcome to Believe in Dreams Ranch where horses are trained using gentle "John Lyons" methods. I Apprenticed under "Ken McNabb" after 25 years of training.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Kya's 4-H Achievement Days Horse Show

Kya's 4-H Achievement Days Horse Show *shakes head* well kiddo we made it through......All I can say is I am proud of you !


I left for Mayo Clinic and didn't hear from Kya for two weeks. Then I get I two day notice of her Horse Show. She gets to work with "Grace" a two year old Paint filly with three weeks on her at 9:30 the night before the show to get ready for Showmanship. This filly has a disposition you can not believe and Kya is a trooper so we are hoping it just might work.

Anyway the next morning we bathe and head out only to get a flat on the trailer at six mile bay. Okay, its hot already and here we are on the side of the highway just Kya and I. We have three horses in the trailer. "Hoot" who Kya plans to ride, "Grace" for Showmanship and backup and "Flag" to separate the two because they don't ride together well. So we try to change it by ourselves. Help arrives, someone up above looking out for us for sure. A kind man in a utility truck pulls over, impact tools, compressor the works. Plus another truck with two men. Praise the lord.... We are on the road in minutes. Many thanks to all of you. They would not accept money just accepted our thanks and wished Kya luck.

Next in my hurry I pass the Maddock turn. I cannot back....Yes after all these years of pulling the trailer, I do not even try I am hopeless. But, since we are now running late, much to my embarrassment I try to back down the highway. To make a long story short it does not work. We end up making a U turn on the highway.


We arrive in Maddock as Showmanship is in progress to be met by "Dad" who says hurry and we can make it. It was a bad idea, I knew better. I apologize Kya. I shouldn't have let you try to learn a pattern on the fly on your way into the arena while we "yanked" a two year old out of the trailer. That was my "bad"


So next we get "Hoot" ready for horsemanship and put Kya on to warm up. She barely gets away from the trailer and out into an opening and a young man comes out of no where, totally out of control, almost running into Kya and Hoot. Anyone who knows Hoot is going to find this hard to believe, but he gives two little crow hops and down goes Kya. She popped right up and got back on. Think she scared me more than herself. So I take her way behind the trailer to warm up, a totally different area. Yep, you guessed it. Here comes the same kid totally out of control again headed straight for her. Well that was enough, for both of us. She decides to ride Grace. This was not the original plan. We go in knowing it is going to take alot of work.

So I guess Kya all I am going to say is the chips were all stacked against you and you didn't give up. You know that is all I ask of a "Believe in Dreams girl" you have what it takes to fulfill your dreams. No Matter how hard things may seem at any given time.....Don't give up, dig your heels in and try a lil harder !

*A very special Thank You to Larry and Jessica Hoefs of Grafton, the owners of this fine filly for allowing Kya to use her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home